US Sailing Membership Director
US Sailing is a member-based organization that relies on membership to support core programs. The Membership Department serves a critical role in the organization’s revenue generation and member service and satisfaction. This role requires a forward thinking, creative leader focused on first class member service, increased retention, and top and bottom line growth in the membership base. The Membership Director is responsible for directing and managing the functions of the membership department that includes managing member services, membership renewal, new member acquisition, benefit fulfillment, and actively supporting with other staff, programs that impact the entire membership including the annual appeal, merchandising, and communications and marketing. This is a crucial role in the organization with a seat on the Staff Executive Committee, and is involved in major strategic and operational decisions affecting the organization.
Position Description & Responsibilities:
- Formulate and implement all policy relating to staff and management of the department.
- Create, develop, implement, and direct membership retention, acquisition and benefit programs.
- Recruit, organize, supervise and motivate membership staff and volunteers, and create an environment where employees are enthusiastically working towards common goals and objectives.
- Develop, manage, and achieve department budget and goals.
- Prioritize and conduct market research to aid in the development of acquisition and retention strategies.
- Promote existing membership benefits and improve membership value by enhancing membership benefits.
- Coordinate the development of monthly reports on key areas of membership activity, including results of member acquisition and retention initiatives, and membership statistics.
- Responsible for developing and implementing services and programs for the 1,500+ organizational members of US Sailing.
- Manage premium level membership and oversee annual giving programs with a focus on Members as Donors; interface with Executive Director on other fund raising programs.
- Serve as the primary membership liaison to the Director of Information Technology to evolve and improve data base functionality and reporting capabilities, and identify other information technology resources to better serve the US Sailing membership.
- Collaborate across the organization and work with all departments to promote US Sailing’s broad array of services, programs and products.
- Serve as the direct liaison to the leadership of US Sailing divisions, committees and councils regarding membership operations relating to their respective constituencies.
- Work with US Sailing’s Executive Director to manage staff operations and leverage organizational assets.
Position Requirements & Qualifications:
The successful candidate will have a big picture focus and a demonstrated record of success garnered in high quality organizations. US Sailing is seeking an individual who is a detail-oriented, analytical and creative manager. Vision and strategic planning skills are important. An engaging leader who understands the importance of customer service will be well suited to the organization. This individual will have solid experience with direct marketing, advertising and membership/subscription management. Key skills and capabilities:
- Motivate Team and Staff. The successful candidate will have the ability to communicate and connect with multiple types of audiences, and motivate all of them to work together towards achieving organizational goals.
- Creativity: The successful candidate will have the ability to collaborate with staff, partners and volunteers to continually improve member services, increase benefits and value and expand the member base.
- Strategic Thinking. The successful candidate will be able to manage the department goals, action plans and partnerships to achieve membership and organizational goals. Candidates must have the ability to lead the development and implementation of new systems that support strategic direction.
- Analytical Thinking. The successful candidate will have the skills and experience to
- analyze trends and use database reporting tools to successfully monitor and grow membership base.
- Financial Management Experience. A successful candidate will have experience in building and successfully managing multi-million dollar and multiyear budgets, from planning to cash flow management.
- Partnerships Development and Management. The successful candidate will be able to interact and develop productive relationships with organizations throughout our country and throughout our sport, and build and maintain a network of support including US Sailing organizational members, our partners and other sailing organizations.
- Communication Skills. The successful candidate will possess strong communication and presentation skills to ensure that US Sailing programs, services and products have frequent, open, and effective communication both internally and externally. An emphasis on quality customer service. Ability to interact with members and donors, communicate with corporate sponsors, engage the media, and manage and lead a staff.
- Fundraising Skills. The successful candidate will have the skills and experience to support the fundraising efforts of US Sailing’s development program.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Bachelors Degree in a relevant field. An advanced degree is a plus.
- 10 years experience in marketing, direct marketing, advertising, membership development, and member/customer service management.
- Experience in fiscal management of a $ 2+ million budget.
- Experience and track record in generating revenue and hitting targeted revenue goals.
- Have solid knowledge of sailing and the sailing industry.
- Successful demonstration of management skills including the ability to select and develop talent.
- Possess solid leadership skills with an ability to work effectively and accomplish tasks, projects and goals through influencing others within a complex organizational structure.
- Be detail and process-oriented with strong program and logistics management skills.
- Possess the ability to present one’s own ideas with clarity and generate buy-in and commitment from multiple constituencies.
- Demonstrate the ability to consult with and persuade others in a planned, well-informed way.
- Exhibit good common sense and past performance demonstrating sharp business instincts, including aptitude and experience in marketing and financial management.
- Possess the highest integrity and values consistent with those of US Sailing.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours including weekends and holidays (as needed).
- Ability to travel domestically.
US Sailing provides a vibrant work environment that values creativity, teamwork and respect. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes health and dental insurance, along with paid vacation, personal days and holidays, and a company matched 403(B) plan to name a few.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.